Real Food, Made Vegan

Egg Salad Made Vegan

Egg Salad Made Vegan

Life is good… ahhh. Especially when you can make a delicious egg free “egg” salad. This recipe is easy breezy and fills the belly with lunchtime joy. Use it for sandwiches topped with a little romaine lettuce, spread it on crackers, eat it right out of the bowl or one of my favs… toss a big dollop on a bed of fresh spinach, maybe garnish with a few cherry tomatoes and enjoy.

Egg Salad Made Vegan

Why does it taste so yummy, you ask? Couple secrets, well not like real secrets but here are a few of my tricks: Garlic, Sea Salt and a special Sweet Dill Pickle Relish recipe. Also, I go crazy with adding the fresh parsley – one heaping cup of parsley makes for great flavor and you are getting more nutrients from all the awesome greens. I have to sneak more greens in whenever I can, Tony is a little resistant if I just put out a big plate of kale. :) Not to mention the special Sweet Dill Pickle Relish. I use McClure’s Garlic & Dill pickles… yum, yum and yum. It is practically impossible to find a sweet pickle relish at the grocery store that isn’t packed with some chemical, even at Whole Foods. Boo! So, one day in a bind, I thought… hmmm… what if I cut up one of those delicious artisan McClure’s pickles in the fridge and toss up my own “sweet relish?” That’s what I did and I never looked back. So until I start canning my own pickles (it could happen) the search for some chemical free sweet (dill) pickle relish is over.

McClures Pickles

If you don’t have access to the McClure’s Pickles look for any local brand of dill pickles or dill pickles with the least amount of ingredients (as natural as possible). Really, any dill pickle will do. Also, I think the added zing from using the dill pickles mixed with the agave necter makes for a fun and yummy twist on traditional egg salad recipes. Bon appetite!

Egg Salad Made Vegan

EGG SALAD MADE VEGAN

1 14 oz package of extra firm organic tofu
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 chopped celery stalks
4 tablespoons chopped red onion
1/4 cup Sweet Dill Relish with garlic and dill pickles (see recipe below)
1/2 cup veganaise or any vegan mayo
4 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1/2 tsp turmeric

To make the “egg” salad, drain the tofu and press out as much water out of the tofu as possible with paper towels, i.e. wrap the tofu in a paper towel and press, repeat, if necessary, to get out all moisture in the tofu. Put tofu in a large mixing bowl and break it up really good with a fork. Add the remaining ingredients to the tofu and mix together really good. Taste and add more salt if needed.

SWEET DILL PICKLE RELISH

1/4 cup minced McClure’s Garlic and Dill Pickles (or any dill pickles)
2 tablespoons of agave
1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Put all ingredients together in a small bowl, mix well and add to the “egg” salad recipe.

Egg Salad Made Vegan

By the way…don’t you just love Keturah’s photographs? Love them. And how ’bout this wonderful handmade wooden vegan sign by Figs and Ginger? I scored it at the Chicago Indie Wed Show last year and have been dying to use it. Too cute!

Egg Salad Made Vegan

I hope you enjoy this recipe. It is definitely one of my favs! By the way, I just love McClure’s Pickles and feel that they do contribute in making this “egg” salad recipe a true delight. However, just so you know, they had nothing to do with the blog posting and we did not receive any free pickles for writing this post. :) I truly just love sharing with all of you things I simply enjoy cooking with.

Egg Salad Made Vegan

Until next time, keep munching on these delicious “egg” salad sandwiches made vegan. :)

Big Hugs,
Trisha

21 Responses to “Egg Salad Made Vegan”

1. Myc says:

OH. MY. GOSH. That’s hot. Um, where’s the pumpernickel?

2. trisha says:

MYC! :) Glad you like the looks of this sandwich. BTW…we loved your pumpernickel! I have been meaning to tell you. Might have to feature your breads on the blog. :)

3. kathy says:

Yum I love how much “egg” salad you crammed between those slices. pretty pics! Hope you will submit your links to my site FindingVegan.com

• trisha says:

Hi Kathy! Thanks for stopping by the blog. I wanted to make the sandwich packed with tons of the egg salad. :) Glad you like it! I checked out your site and it looks great. We will definitely submit some images. Thanks for the info!

4. Laura says:

WOW! This ‘egg’ salad looks amazing! I’ve always loved egg salad, but now that I’m vegan, I can eat ‘egg’ salad with a clear conscience! Can’t wait to try this…

5. MEME says:

Cannot wait to try it.
    Vegan sandwiches rock !

6. Jenny says:

I made this delish recipe for my 5 kids and they all LOVED it! Thank you!

7. Mimi says:

I made your vegan egg salad and loved it. in fact, I think it is much better than traditional real egg salad. Fabulous! Keep posting great recipes.

8. frances says:

Hello! We made this at our weekly Vegan Chef class and everyone loved it! Some of the people in the class had never tried tofu before and this was a great introduction. Thanks so much for sharing.

9. Jennifer says:

How long can I store this in the fridge? I’m the only vegan in my house and it was sooo good I want to eat it again!

• Trisha says:

Hi Jennifer! Thanks for writing. I normally try to eat my up within 4 to 5 days. Usually opened tofu saves in the fridge for about 5 days. I’ll make a big batch on Sunday and then my husband and I will have it for lunch all week! :)

10. lisai says:

Just discovered your site.
    Looks wonderful, this “V-Egg’n Salad” really tastes great!

11. Laura says:

Made this over the weekend! SOOOOO good! Put it on toasted Sesame Ezekial bread, friend of mine from work brought in yellow tomatoes, sliced one up with the sandwich! Gonna make this ALOT! Thank you!

• Trisha says:

Hi Laura, So glad you like it. I have this recipe in my rotation, my husband can’t go too long without having it! :) I love that you put it on Ezekial bread with yellow tomatoes! Sounds delish!

12. Stacie says:

Your recipe sounds wonderful and exactly what I was on the hunt for, thank you.

13. Madeline says:

This is amazing…even better with some stone ground mustard!

My partner and I LOVE this recipe!

14. Shayna says:

As much as I love tofu, I was a skeptic. I’m really picky about it’s use — and I always loved egg salad. But I was happily surprised that this tastes JUST like the real thing! The turmeric even makes it “look” like real egg salad, and the texture and taste are spot-on. I didn’t add the onions or celery, as I’m not a fan of either, but the vegan mayo and seasoning gives it just the right flavor. Thank you for this! It’s certainly something I’ll be making often!